Robert Bogdanowicz received his Ph.D. degree with honours in Electronics from the Gdansk University of Technology. He worked as a post-doc researcher in Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universität Greifswald Institut für Physik. He has initiated optical emission imaging of muti-magnetron pulsed plasma and contributed to the development of antibacterial implant coatings deposited by high-power impulse magnetron sputtering. He moved back to the Gdansk University of Technology in 2011, as the group leader (15 members) and assistant professor in the Department of Metrology and Optoelectronics. His current domains of interest include selective CVD diamond growth and nanocrystalline diamond doping for environmental and biochemical nanosensors. In 2015 he held a scholarship Fulbright Senior Scholar Program at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) working on hybrid 3D diamond structures. He has served on several journal editorial boards, and currently serves as an Associate Editor for 2 JCR journals, and reviewer for over 30 journals and granting agencies. His works were recognized and featured on the 2 covers in JCR journals (e.g. Energy Technology in 2018).He promoted 2 PhDs, obtained 4 patents and his sensing technology based on diamond surface is already developed in industry.
2016-present Associate Professor Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics, Department of Optoelectronics, Gdansk University of Technology
2015-2016 Senior Fulbright Scholar at California Institute of Technology ,USA
2011-2015 Assistant Professor Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics, Department of Optoelectronics, Gdansk University of Technology
2009- 2011 Research co-worker (post-doc) Institute of Physics, Department of Experimental Physics : Interface Physics , University of Greifswald, Germany
2000- 2009 Research Assistant Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics, Department of Optoelectronics, Gdansk University of Technology
2015 Habilitation - Gdansk University of Technology, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics “Semiconductor, thin diamond film structures - fabrication and properties”
2012 Certified scientific project manager - (Certificate of managerial Association IPMA-D) - Project management and commercialization of research results. Postgraduate studies for scientific and employees of organizations dedicated to education.
2011 Certificated course at Stanford University, Personal & Professional Development sponsored by Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education in frame of TOP 500 Innovators-Science-Management -Commercialization program.
2009 Gdansk University of Technology, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics
Ph.D. (with honours), ”Optoelectronic monitoring of low-temperature plasma excitation during synthesis of thin diamond-like carbon films”
2000 Gdansk University of Technology, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics
M.Sc., „Thin diamond-like carbon film synthesis for microelectronic applications”
Research projects implemented and under implementation for the past 5 years:
• "Ultrasensitive opto-electrochemical methods for detection of liquid explosives and products for their production.", Science for Peace NATO MYP/G5147 Programme – 354 000 EUR - co‑Director
• “DIAMSEC - ultrasensitive sensing platform for rapid detection of epidemiological and pandemic threats", The National centre for Research and Development, program TECHMATSTRATEG, 1/347324/12/NCBR/2017, 7 449 484 PLN – Principal Investigator
• "2D phosphorene nanostructures - synthesis and analysis of opto-electrochemical properties toward biosensing systems", National Science Centre, program SONATA-BIS, UMO-2016/22/E/ST7/00102, 1 465 300 PLN –Principal Investigator
• „Novel photonic and quantum devices exploiting nonlinear and coherence phenomena in color centers in diamond”, National Science Centre, program OPUS, 2016/21/B/ST7/01430, 1 255 550 PLN – Principal Co-Investigator
• "Effective removal of micro-pollutants from wastewater using electrochemical oxidation on nanocrystalline diamond anodes(DIAOPS).", WFOŚ, 350 000 PLN – Principal Investigator
• „Diamond-graphene sensory heterostructures” in collaboration with University in Gdańsk, National Science Centre, program Harmonia 2014/14/M/ST5/00715, 799 500 PLN – Main Investigator
• „Structured semiconducting diamond nanolayers used for opto-electro-sensor systems ", 09.2012-08.2015, National Science Centre, program SONATA, 2011/03/D/ST7/03541, 998.410 PLN – Principal Investigator.
• "Doped nanodiamond structures for applications in electrochemical sensors", 10.2011-09.2013, The National Centre for Research and Development, LIDER II, LIDER/20/91/L-2/10/NCBiR/2011, 540.600 PLN – Principal Investigator.
10 Selected Recent Research publications: total over 100. (H index = 19, I-10 index 36)
1. Sobaszek, M.; Skowroński, Ł.; Bogdanowicz, R.; Siuzdak, K.; Cirocka, A.; Zięba, P.; Gnyba, M.; Naparty, M.; Gołuński, Ł.; Płotka, P. Optical and Electrical Properties of Ultrathin Transparent Nanocrystalline Boron-Doped Diamond Electrodes. Optical Materials 2015, 42, 24–34.
2. Bogdanowicz, R.; Sobaszek, M.; Ryl, J.; Gnyba, M.; Ficek, M.; Gołuński, Ł.; Bock, W. J.; Śmietana, M.; Darowicki, K. Improved Surface Coverage of an Optical Fibre with Nanocrystalline Diamond by the Application of Dip-Coating Seeding. Diamond and Related Materials 2015, 55, 52–63.
3. Niedziałkowski, P.; Ossowski, T.; Zięba, P.; Cirocka, A.; Rochowski, P.; Pogorzelski, S. J.; Ryl, J.; Sobaszek, M.; Bogdanowicz, R. Poly-L-Lysine-Modified Boron-Doped Diamond Electrodes for the Amperometric Detection of Nucleic Acid Bases. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry 2015, 756, 84–93.
4. Ficek, M.; Sobaszek, M.; Gnyba, M.; Ryl, J.; Gołuński, Ł.; Smietana, M.; Jasiński, J.; Caban, P.; Bogdanowicz, R. Optical and Electrical Properties of Boron Doped Diamond Thin Conductive Films Deposited on Fused Silica Glass Substrates. Applied Surface Science 2016, 387, 846–856.
5. Hosu, I. S.; Sobaszek, M.; Ficek, M.; Bogdanowicz, R.; Drobecq, H.; Boussekey, L.; Barras, A.; Melnyk, O.; Boukherroub, R.; Coffinier, Y. Carbon Nanowalls: A New Versatile Graphene Based Interface for the Laser Desorption/Ionization-Mass Spectrometry Detection of Small Compounds in Real Samples. Nanoscale 2017, 9 (27), 9701–9715.
6. Siuzdak, K.; Bogdanowicz, R. Nano-Engineered Diamond-Based Materials for Supercapacitor Electrodes: A Review. Energy Technol. 2017, DOI: 10.1002/ente.201700345.
7. Siuzdak, K.; Ficek, M.; Sobaszek, M.; Ryl, J.; Gnyba, M.; Niedziałkowski, P.; Malinowska, N.; Karczewski, J.; Bogdanowicz, R. Boron-Enhanced Growth of Micron-Scale Carbon-Based Nanowalls: A Route toward High Rates of Electrochemical Biosensing. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9 (15), 12982–12992.
8. Sobaszek, M.; Siuzdak, K.; Ryl, J.; Sawczak, M.; Gupta, S.; Carrizosa, S.; Ficek, M.; Dec, B.; Darowicki, K.; Bogdanowicz, R. Diamond-Phase (Sp3-C) Rich Boron-Doped Carbon Nanowalls (Sp2-C): A Physico-Chemical And Electrochemical Properties. J. Phys. Chem. C 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b06365
9. Nidzworski D., Siuzdak K., Niedziałkowski P., Bogdanowicz R., Sobaszek M., Ryl J., Weiher P., Sawczak M., Wnuk E., Goddard III W., Jaramillo-Botero A., Ossowski T.: A rapid-response ultrasensitive biosensor for influenza virus detection using antibody modified boron-doped diamond, Scientific Reports. 2017, Vol. 7, 15707.
10. Sankaran K., Ficek M., Kunuku S., Kalpataru P., Yeh C., Park J., Sawczak M., Michałowski P., Leou K., Bogdanowicz R., Lin I., Haenen K.: Self-organized multilayered graphene-boron doped diamond hybrid nanowalls for high performance electron emission devices, Nanoscale. 2018, Vol. 10, 3, 1345-1355
Other Professional Activities:
• Head of research group and member of the board operating within Advanced Technologies Centre "Pomerania", created in the framework of the Operational Programme for the development of innovative companies.
• 36 months scholarship for Young Researcher Polish Ministry of Science
• Member of MNiSzW Commitee for Scientific International Cooperation
• An expert in the pilot program NCBiR Bridge – Research Development Innovation (pilot project "Commercialization of research results and development - Testing of new support mechanisms"
• Industry expert in the project PO IG FORSURF Foresight "Foresight leading technologies shaping the surface properties of materials and biomedical engineering"
• Bogdanowicz R., Gardas M. „Detonation nanodiamond suspension deagglomerated by high power sonication” - XVII Moskiewski Salon Wynalazków i Innowacyjnych Technologii „ARCHIMEDES” 2014 Moskwa – Złoty Medal.
• Bogdanowicz R., Gnyba M., Sobaszek M., Gołuński Ł. - „Nanocrystalline boron-doped diamond structures for the detection and utilization toxic and difficult degradable compounds” - 10. Targi Techniki Przemysłowej, Nauki i Innowacji TECHNICON-INNOWACJE 2014, Gdańsk – Silver Medal.
• Bogdanowicz R., Gardas M. „Nanodiamond suspensions” - Międzynarodowe Targi Wynalazczości Badań Naukowych i Nowych Technologii BRUSSELS INNOVA 2014, Bruksela, Belgia – Gold Medal.
• Techologies implementations:
o Bogdanowicz R., „Boron doped-diamond – TiO2 nanotubes – supercapacitors”– DI4MAN sp z oo,(2017).
o Bogdanowicz R., Wroczyński P., „Optoelectronic instrument for optical transmission control of automotive glazing "- implemented - the device diagnostic stations (2005).
o Bogdanowicz R, Ryl J., Darowicki K., „Reflectometric and ellipsometry assessment of defects in the pre-coat layers of light materials” – Project for Philips Poland Piła (2006).
o Stranak V., Bogdanowicz R., Hippler, R., „Antibacterial coatings for bone implants alloy TiAlV” – Plasma Campus - DOT (Germany, Greifswald/ Rostock) (2010).